North Korea claims it has again tested a hydrogen bomb underground and that it "successfully" loaded it onto the tip of an intercontinental ballistic missile, a claim that if true, crosses a "red line" drawn by South Korea's president last month.
In a state media announcement, North Korea confirmed the afternoon tremors in its northeast were indeed caused by the test of a nuclear device, and that leader Kim Jong Un personally signed off on the test.
"We've reconfirmed our ability to control our missile and nuclear capabilities at any given time, and that we've reached a very high level of standards of such technology," the North Korean announcer read on state broadcaster, KCNA. "This shows the trustworthy system of our nuclear engineering technology, from today's successful test."
North Korea conducted a sixth nuclear test Sunday, Japanese and South Korean officials said, heightening tensions between Pyongyang and its neighbors — and challenging the Trump administration head-on.
The U.S. Geological Survey says it detected a 6.3 magnitude "possible explosion" near Sungjibaegam, North Korea Sunday afternoon, "located near the site where North Korea has detonated nuclear explosions in the past."
South Korean Joint Chiefs of Staff say they detected an "artificial seismic wave" at 12:29 p.m. local time. Korea's Meterological Agency said North Korea's artificial quake was nearly 10 times more powerful than the one triggered by its fifth nuclear test. A quake's magnitude is used in calculating a nuclear device's yield.